Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole is one of those recipes that is most often served during the holidays or at large group gatherings.
And that is exactly why it is hard to find a recipe that makes a smaller amount for just two people.
However, there are many of us who love this classic holiday dish recipe but don’t want to wait around until the next family gathering to partake in a bite of this delicious potato casserole.
Therefore, today I am sharing my recipe on how to make a small batch version that is easy enough to make any day of the year!
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe For Two
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 TBSP diced onion
1 small garlic clove, minced
1.5 cups frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes
1 TBSP. all-purpose flour
3 TBSP. chicken broth
3 TBSP. sour cream or plain greek yogurt
1 TBSP. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, firmly packed & divided
1/4 cup crushed cornflake cereal, Panko bread crumbs or Ritz crackers
The first step in making this Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole is to preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Then in a medium size skillet, add 1 tablespoon of butter.
When the butter melts add the diced onions and saute until they turn translucent. Then immediately add the minced garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant. This should only take a minute.
Remove from the onions and garlic from heat and set aside. Then in a large bowl, mix together the cooked onions, garlic, frozen hash browns, flour, chicken stock, sour cream, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and ½ of the cheddar cheese.
Transfer the mixture into a small oval baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Then sprinkle the top with remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese.
Add The Topping
Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and mix with the crushed cornflakes, Panko breadcrumbs or crushed Ritz crackers. Then sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of the casserole.
The entire casserole will not be covered, however, there should be enough that each bite will have a little crunch to it.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until the sides of the casserole are nice and bubbly and the topping is golden brown in color.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes. This will help the liquid thicken as it cools slightly.
When serving, garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chopped chives.
Be sure to check out our other recipes for two by searching the Recipe Index tab at the top of the page, or click here: Recipe Index Page.
And when you do need to make a large batch of Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole, be sure to use our favorite recipe that makes enough to fill a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
If you are thinking to yourself that this recipe looks very familiar, but you have never heard it called Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole, you are probably right.
Many people refer to this casserole as Funeral Potatoes. This is because it is often served at gatherings after a funeral.
Although I have had this side dish many times celebrating the life of someone who has recently passed, I have also had it on many other occasions.
In fact, it is often served at work pot lucks, family reunions, bridal showers, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Therefore, instead of calling them funeral potatoes, I prefer the term Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole.
To receive FREE recipes delivered directly to your email, be sure to sign up for the iCookfortwo newsletter. A sign up form is located in the middle of this article. If you have any questions, comments, or want to submit an idea for a recipe for two, feel free to email at email@example.com
- 2 Tablespoons butter divided
- 2 TBSP diced onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1.5 cups frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 TBSP. all-purpose flour
- 3 TBSP. chicken broth
- 3 TBSP. sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP. grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded and firmly packed, divided
- 1/4 cup crushed cornflake cereal or panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). In a medium sized skillet, add 1 Tablespoon butter and when melted add the diced onions and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked onions, garlic, hash browns, flour, chicken stock, sour cream, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and 1/2 of the cheddar cheese.
- Spread into a small oval baking dish and top with remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese.
- Melt the remaining Tablespoon of butter and mix with the crushed cornflake crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until cooked throughout and and sides are bubbly.
Recipe provided by icookfortwo.com
Nutrition InformationYield 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 866Total Fat 56gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 31gCholesterol 76mgSodium 1788mgCarbohydrates 72gFiber 6gSugar 6gProtein 24g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.