This mini cheese ball recipe is a twist on those famous, classic cheese balls that you often find at holiday parties or as an appetizer for group gatherings.
However, this time I have converted my standard recipe to make a smaller version that makes the perfect amount for 2-4 people!
If you are thinking that this is a recipe that makes several, tiny cheese balls that are served on a pretzel stick, that is not quite what I am going for here.
Although you could definitely adapt this recipe for that purpose, I am talking about the classic appetizer made in mini form, all as one ball.
It is perfect to serve as an appetizer for a long evening at home. Or as a snack while you watch your favorite television show or your favorite football team.
But best of all it only takes less than 15 minutes to prepare!
Mini Cheese Ball Recipe
- Cream Cheese, room temperature
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Dried Parsley Flakes
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Hot Sauce
- Ground Black Pepper
- Green Onion
- Almond slivers, chopped
The first step in making this mini cheese ball recipe is to place the cream cheese on the counter to soften. If you are like me and forget to put it out ahead of time, there are ways to soften the cream cheese quicker.
How To Soften Cream Cheese Quickly
1. Cut The Cream Cheese In Cubes
- Open the cream cheese package, both the cardboard and foil, and cut the block into 1- 2 inch cubes and then place the cubes on a plate for about 20 minutes.
2. Put It Outdoors
- Remove the cream cheese from the cardboard packaging. However, leave the cream cheese in the foil and set in a safe, warm spot outdoors. Of course, this only works if the temperature outdoors is warmer than what it is indoors.
3. Warm Water Works
- Remove the cream cheese from the cardboard packaging but leave it unopened in the foil. Then submerge the cream cheese in lukewarm water for approximately 10 minutes. Then take it out of the foil and proceed with making the mini cheese ball as instructed below.
4. Microwave Method
- If you don’t mind using a microwave, you can soften the cream cheese by taking the cream cheese block out of all packaging and place it on a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 10 seconds, then flip the cream cheese block over and microwave for another 10 seconds.
- Repeat this process 1 more time. However, be sure that the cream cheese does not melt around the edges. Otherwise it will be difficult to fluff up when mixed.
Combine The Ingredients
Now that the cream cheese is soft, add it to a small mixing bowl. Then add the shredded cheese, Worcestershire sauce, dried parsley, garlic powder, dried oregano, hot sauce and ground black pepper.
Use a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle blade and mix until well combined. Then add the diced green onion and continue to mix until well incorporated.
Using a silicone spatula, scrape the mixture into one large ball in the bottom of the bowl. If you are serving the cheese ball the same day that you are making it you will want to coat the cheese ball in the chopped nuts at this time.
Place the chopped nuts on a cutting board. Spread them out in a thin pile.
Then lightly grease your hands with non-stick cooking spray and form the mini cheese ball mixture into a round ball.
Set the ball down right in the center of the chopped nuts that are on the cutting board. Roll the ball on top of the nuts until the entire surface is coated in the chopped almond slivers.
Cover the cheese ball in plastic wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to chill.
Then 20 minutes before serving place the cheese ball on the counter to let it soften a bit. If you served it right out of the refrigerator the cheese ball will be too firm to spread easily.
Make Ahead Instructions
If you are making this recipe a few days ahead of when you want to serve it, or will be storing the cheese ball in the freezer, do not place the nuts on it before storing.
Instead, remove the ball from the refrigerator an hour before serving and add the nuts as instructed above.
However, if the cheese ball is frozen, take it out of the freezer to thaw a couple of hours before serving. Then, roll it in the chopped nuts. Continue to let the cheese ball sit until firm, but spreadable.
If it gets too soft, you can place the mini cheese ball back in the refrigerator.
Serve with crackers, pretzels, vegetables or baguettes. It is best to use a knife to spread, rather than trying to dip anything directly into the ball.
Otherwise the cracker, pretzel or whatever else you use will likely break off.
If you have any leftovers, wrap the cheese ball in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. It will remain good for up to a week.
However, the longer that it is in the refrigerator, the softer that the nuts on the outer surface will become. But it is still tasty!
Larger Cheese Ball Recipes
If you are looking for traditional full size cheese balls check out some of my favorite recipes below:
To receive FREE recipes delivered directly to your email, be sure to sign up for the iCookfortwo newsletter. A sign up form is located in the middle of this article. If you have any questions, comments, or want to submit an idea for a recipe for two, feel free to email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Green Onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1/8 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/8 tsp. Hot Sauce, more to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup almond slivers, chopped
- In a small mixing bowl add the room temperature cream cheese, shredded cheese, green onion, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, garlic powder, oregano hot sauce and ground black pepper. Mix until well combined.
Use a silicone spatula to scrape the mixture into one large section. Lightly grease your hands with non-stick cooking spray and form the mixture into a round ball. Set aside.
If you are serving the cheese ball right away coat them in the chopped nuts by holding the cheese ball in one hand and use the other hand to pat the nuts onto the outside surface of the ball, coating all sides.
*If you are making this recipe ahead and will be storing the cheese ball in the refrigerator or freezer, do not place the nuts on at this time. Instead, wait until an hour before serving and add the nuts as instructed above.
Cover the cheese ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an 1 hour to chill. 20 minutes before serving place the cheese ball on the counter to let it soften a bit.
Serve with crackers, pretzels, vegetables or baguettes.
The cheese ball can be made up to 1 week ahead of time and refrigerated without the addition of the nuts.
Freezer instructions - make the cheese ball as instructed, without the nut coating. Then wrap in plastic wrap and then place in a resealable freezer bag, with the air removed.
When you go to serve the make ahead cheese ball, add the nuts an hour before serving. You will need to let the freezer cheese ball thaw somewhat so that the nuts can adhere to the outer surface.
Recipe provided by icookfortwo.com
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 180Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 38mgSodium 212mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 7g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.