One of my favorite things to make in my air fryer are chicken breasts. Not only are they easy to make, but they taste absolutely delicious.
They have a slightly grilled taste, but the inside is so moist and juicy that the meat literally almost melts in your mouth.
But best of all, there is no need to heat up the kitchen or stand over top of a hot grill to make delicious chicken breasts.
Simply season the meat and put them in the air fryer. Then use the chicken as the main dish for your next meal. Or use it as the protein ingredient for your next wrap, salad or a plate of chicken nachos!
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
Extra virgin olive oil
This air fryer recipe is designed for chicken breasts that are boneless, skinless, and approximately 1 – 1 1/2 inches thick.
You can certainly cook bone-in or thin boneless breasts, however the cook time will need to be adjusted accordingly.
Prepare the chicken by trimming the fat from the refrigerated chicken breast and place the trimmed chicken in a large resealable plastic bag.
Then in a small bowl, add the oil and the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Kosher salt and pepper to the bowl and mix well until incorporated.
Pour the oil and seasoning mixture in the bag with the chicken and seal. Then massage the outside of the bag so that the chicken breast are coated with the marinade.
Let the chicken and marinade sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. If you will not be cooking the chicken breast directly after the 30 minutes, then place the bag in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to make it, simply let the chicken sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
When you are ready, preheat the air fryer at 375°F. Although some brands of air fryers state that preheating is not necessary, it is crucial for this recipe.
Not only will the chicken cook better, but the hot basket will help prevent the chicken from sticking to the surface. However, because there is oil in the marinade, you will not need to spray the air fryer basket with non-stick oil.
Once the air fryer has preheated for at least 3 minutes, place the chicken in the basket. Then set the cook timer for 15 minutes.
Then carefully flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. You will want to remove the chicken once the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
I recommend using a digital food thermometer that has a long wire. This is extremely helpful when cooking in the air fryer as you can insert the thermometer in the meat and still close the air fryer basket.
Once the desired internal temperature has been reached, remove the chicken breasts from the air fryer. Then cover and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
To receive FREE recipes delivered directly to your email, be sure to sign up for the iCookfortwo newsletter. A sign up form is located in the middle of this article. If you have any questions, comments, or want to submit an idea for a recipe for two, feel free to email at email@example.com
- 2 chicken breasts, 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Trim the fat from the refrigerated chicken breast and place the trimmed chicken in a large resealable plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, add the oil and seasonings and mix together. Pour the mixture in the bag with the chicken and massage the outside of the bag so that the chicken breast are coated with the marinade.
Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer at 375°F if required. Place the chicken in the basket of the air fryer and cook for 15 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F. Remove the chicken from the air fryer and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.