When you think about pie, you probably don’t imagine it being filled with ingredients that are typically found in a Barbecue Cheeseburger. However, once you take a bite, you will want to make this recipe over and over again.
Although most pie recipes are sweet and served as dessert, this one is a savory pie that you can eat for lunch, dinner, or even as a snack. Best of all, it requires only 6 basic ingredients and it is easy to prepare.
It starts with ground beef that is cooked with diced onions and diced red peppers. After the meat is no longer pink you drain and return it to the skillet. Then mix in your favorite barbecue sauce and pour it on top of a refrigerated biscuit crust.
Sprinkle a little cheese on top and bake it until it is set. Once you take it out of the oven you will have one of the most delicious meals ready to be served.
However, don’t just think about this recipe for lunch or dinner. You can also serve it as a snack or appetizer for a small gathering.
It is fantastic and easy to make recipe that I am sure that you will want to make over and over again!
Barbecue Cheeseburger Pie
*A printable recipe card is located at the bottom of this article which contains the specific measurements, temperatures and cook times. However, continue reading below to learn about more helpful tips about this specific recipe.
- 1/2 pound Ground Beef, lean
- 1/4 cup diced Onion
- 1/4 cup diced Red Pepper
- 1/3 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 4 refrigerated Buttermilk Biscuits
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1 Green Onion, sliced for garnish (optional)
The first step in making this Barbecue Cheeseburger Pie is to preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Then spray a small 2 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
*I use an 8.5 x 5 inch, Small Oval Baking Dish for this recipe, and many of my recipes made for two, such as my Mexican Tater Tot Casserole recipe. However, you could use any small baking dish that you have on hand.
No matter what dish you use, be sure to spray the bottom and sides with non-stick cooking spray. Then set the dish aside while you prepare the ingredients.
In a medium size skillet, add the ground beef, onion and red pepper. Cook over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink.
Drain the meat mixture and return it to the skillet. Next, stir in your favorite barbecue sauce. I prefer to use G. Hughes Sugar Free Sweet & Spicy Barbecue Sauce.
With this sauce, you get all the flavor of a sweet & spicy barbecue sauce without the unnecessary added sugar. However, you can choose whatever brand and flavor that you prefer when making this Barbecue Cheeseburger Pie recipe.
Once the barbecue sauce has been added to the meat continue to cook the mixture over medium heat until the sauce is no longer thin and runny. Remove the skillet from the heat and set it aside.
Open the package of refrigerator buttermilk biscuit dough. Remove 4 biscuits from the package and flatten each one into approximately a 3 inch circle.
Place the flattened biscuits on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish and press the seams together to make a crust. Be sure to push the edges slightly up the side of the baking dish as well.
Sprinkle the top of the biscuit crust with 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese. Then spoon the meat mixture on top of the cheese and spread it out in an even layer.
Place the Barbecue Cheeseburger Pie in the preheated oven. Bake until the edge of the biscuit crust is deep golden brown, approximately 20-25 minutes.
About 5 minutes before the casserole is finished baking, sprinkle the top with remaining cheese. Let the cheese melt and remove the baking dish from the oven.
Let the casserole cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish the top with sliced green onion if desired.
Helpful Cooking Tips When Making Barbecue Cheeseburger Pie
1. Use Lean Ground Beef
It is best to use a lean ground beef for this recipe. Because you are only using a half a pound, be sure to purchase ground beef or ground sirloin that has a 90/10 ratio of lean meat to fat content. This will help prevent residual grease from seeping into the biscuit crust during the baking process.
2. Pick Your Favorite Barbecue Sauce
Be sure to use a barbecue sauce that you prefer. There are so many different varieties of barbecue sauce on the market and each one has a unique and distinct flavor.
Therefore, use the same barbecue sauce that you would put on our favorite chicken or pork dish.
3. Add More Cheese
Depending on the type of baking dish that you choose for this recipe, you may need to add a little more cheese to both the top of the crust and to the top of the casserole when being baked.
The addition of extra cheese is totally up to you, but it does serve a purpose. First, the cheese on top of the buttermilk biscuit crust adds a layer of protection from the grease of the ground beef slipping into the biscuits and making them too soggy.
Second, the cheese adds a ton of flavor to this Barbecue Cheeseburger Pie. Even if you use the exact same baking dish that I used, you may want to add extra cheese just on taste preference.
4. Let The Casserole Cool Slightly Before Serving
As mentioned above, it is important that you let the casserole cool for a few minutes once it comes out of the oven. This will help the beef filling to cool and set before slicing.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I substitute ground turkey in this recipe?
If you are looking to make this recipe a little healthier, or simply can’t eat red meat, you can substitute ground turkey, chicken or even plant based crumbles in this recipe.
However, be sure to add a little oil to the skillet when you brown the meat. This will help prevent it from sticking to the bottom surface.
2. I don’t like onions, can I leave them out?
Although onions add great flavor to this Barbecue Cheeseburger Casserole, you can omit them if you wish. In fact, you can omit or substitute the diced red pepper with diced green pepper as well.
3. What can I make with the remaining 4 refrigerated buttermilk biscuits?
If you purchase a standard tube of refrigerator biscuit dough for this Barbecue Cheeseburger Pie you will have 4 leftover that you to find a way to use before they go bad. Unfortunately, the biscuits do not store well in the refrigerator after they are open.
Therefore, here are a few ways that you can make using the remaining biscuits:
- Bake the biscuits as instructed on the package and store in an air tight container. Serve with sausage gravy or as the bread at dinner. .
- Make Air Fryer Donuts with the leftover dough.
- Easy Garlic Knots is a delicious appetizer or bread recipe that will compliment almost dinner.
- Air Fryer Pizza Bombs – Pizza toppings stuffed inside of biscuit dough.
- Air Fryer Breakfast Bombs – All your favorite breakfast items tucked inside a biscuit.
- Easy Soft Pretzel Bites – An easy way to enjoy your favorite snack!
To receive FREE recipes delivered directly to your email, be sure to sign up for the iCookfortwo newsletter. A sign up form is located in the middle of this article. If you have any questions, comments, or want to submit an idea for a recipe for two, feel free to email at email@example.com
- 1/2 pound ground beef, lean
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 green onion, sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a small 2 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium size skillet, cook the ground beef, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Return the meat mixture to the skillet and stir in the barbecue sauce. Continue to cook over medium heat until the sauce is no longer thin and runny. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Flatten each biscuit into approximately a 3 inch circle. Place biscuits on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish and press the seams together to make a crust. Be sure to push the edges slightly up the side of the baking dish as well.
- Sprinkle the top of the biscuits with 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon the meat mixture over cheese.
- Bake until crust is deep golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and, if desired, diced green onion. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe provided by iCookfortwo.com
Nutrition InformationYield 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 478Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 73mgSodium 776mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 2gSugar 10gProtein 26g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.