Chicken Parmesan Skillet Dinner is an easy and delicious one pot meal that is ready to eat in just 30 minutes!
It holds all the flavors of traditional Chicken Parmesan but is actually healthier because it is made with chicken breast chunks, not with breaded chicken cutlets.
The chicken is cooked in the pasta sauce itself so that it becomes very moist, tender and flavorful. And the past noodles are also cooked in the sauce so that they absorb all of the flavors perfectly.
Add a little Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese, and you have yourself a complete, easy, and delicious dinner for two!
Chicken Parmesan Skillet Dinner
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chicken breast, boneless & skinless
- Dried Italian seasoning
- Salt & ground black pepper
- Pasta sauce
- Penne pasta
- Parmesan cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh Parsley, chopped for garnish
The first step in preparing this Chicken Parmesan skillet dinner is to prepare the chicken. Do this by cutting a chicken breast into 1/2 inch pieces.
Although the thickness of the chicken breast does not matter in this recipe because you will be cutting it into pieces, I prefer to use a single, medium size chicken breast.
It is the perfect amount when cooking for two people.
Once the chicken breast is cut, set it aside while you prepare the onion and garlic. On a new cutting board, dice half of an onion.
Then use a garlic press to mince a clove of garlic. If you enjoy the taste of garlic, you can use an additional clove.
Fresh Garlic vs. Jarred Minced Garlic
If you don’t have a garlic press or fresh garlic, feel free to use jarred minced garlic as a substitute. 1 medium clove of garlic = 1 teaspoon of jarred minced garlic.
Set the onion and minced garlic aside while you heat up the skillet or Dutch oven. If you are preparing this recipe in a skillet, be sure that it has high sides.
This is because we will be boiling the noodles in the same pan as we use to cook the chicken.
Place the pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Then add the cubed chicken breasts and diced onions.
Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside. The chicken will not be fully cooked at this point.
Next, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until the garlic becomes fragrant. Then add the pasta sauce to the pot and stir.
Then add the same amount of water as the pasta sauce and pour the noodles in the pot as well. Stir until the noodles are submerged in the liquid.
Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir one more time, then cover the pot.
Cook Time For The Noodles
Let the noodles cook in the liquid for approximately 12-15 minutes. It may take shorter or longer than the recommended time based on the type of noodles that you have purchased.
You want the noodles to be al’dente when cooked. However, be sure that you stir the pot several times during the cooking process so that the noodles do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
Once the noodles are cooked through, stir in the Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup of the shredded Mozzarella cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and incorporated throughout.
Then turn the heat off the burner. Sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella cheese on top of the Chicken Parmesan Pasta and cover the skillet.
Allow the cheese to melt, which should take 3-4 minutes.
Sprinkle the top with chopped fresh parsley and additional Parmesan cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
If you have any leftovers, store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Looking for more one pot recipes for two? Be sure to check out our Mushroom Pork Chops recipe and keep checking back for new recipes added every week!
To receive FREE recipes delivered directly to your email, be sure to sign up for the iCookfortwo newsletter. A sign up form is located in the middle of this article and on the right side bar. If you have any questions, comments, or want to submit an idea for a recipe for two, feel free to email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces of pasta sauce
- 8 ounces of water
- 5 ounces of Penne pasta
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a high sided skillet or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breast with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Then add the cubed chicken breast & onion to the pan and cook until the chicken is mostly cooked, but not all the way.
- Add in the minced garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour in the marinara sauce, water and noodles and stir. Heat until boiling, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pan. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently so that the noodles don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the noodles are al'dente stir in the Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup of Mozzarella cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella cheese on top, cover and turn off the heat. Let the cheese melt, which will take approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped fresh parsley and serve warm.
Recipe provided by iCookfortwo.com