If you are looking for a way to make chicken breasts more appealing and appetizing, you will love this Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe. All of your favorite pizza flavors get stuffed inside chicken breasts and then they are topped with Mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce.
It is an easy to make recipe that takes only 30 minutes to cook and it tastes absolutely delicious! In fact, it has become one of my favorite meals.
I will make it for not only on a busy weeknight, but also as a healthy alternative on Pizza night. Not to mention, that it is a low-carb recipe that is great to serve to your friends who are on a Keto diet.
Meal Prep Option
And for all of you who like to do a little meal prep at the beginning of the week, you can make pizza stuffed chicken breasts ahead of time. Then simply put it in the oven whenever you need a 30 minute meal!
I have also taken this recipe one step further and placed the stuffed chicken rolls in the freezer. Then whenever the craving hits I will pull the package out of the freezer in the morning.
Then when dinner time rolls around they will be ready to be placed in the oven. And dinner will be served with very little effort!
As you take a look at the actual recipe, it is important to note that the ingredients can be customized to your preference. For instance, if you don’t like sausage you can simply omit it or substitute another ingredient instead.
And just because I threw in a little fresh baby spinach in an effort to get some extra greens into our diet, doesn’t mean that you have to. Simply use the recipe below as a guideline.
Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe
*A printable recipe card is located at the bottom of this article which contains the specific measurements, temperatures and cook times. However, continue reading below to learn about more helpful tips about this specific recipe.
- 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/8 cup Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Sweet Italian Sausage, cooked
- 6 slices of Pepperoni, diced
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Pizza Sauce
- Grated Parmesan
- Chopped Fresh Parsley
The first step in making Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts is to preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Then spray a 2 quart baking dish or an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
While the oven is heating up, prepare the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You will want to purchase chicken breasts that are medium size when it comes to thickness for this recipe.
Trim off any excess fat and butterfly each chicken breast by placing each one on a cutting board. Then using a sharp knife held horizontally to your work surface, begin slicing the chicken breast in half through the middle.
Be sure to start at the thicker end and slowly work towards the thinner edge. However be sure to not slice it all the way through so that you can open it like a book.
Next, using a meat mallet or your fist, pound the thicker end so that is about the same thickness as the thinner end. Sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
Stuff The Chicken Breasts
Evenly divide the spinach leaves and place them on the left side of each chicken breast. However, when you place the spinach on the left side, cheat more toward the center than the outer edge.
Then top the spinach with the Parmesan shaved cheese, cooked sausage, and diced pepperoni. Starting at the side with the filling, roll each chicken breast, tucking the filling inside.
Once it is completely rolled, place seam side down in the baking dish. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste.
You will not need to hold the chicken together with toothpicks. Instead, be sure to place them with the seam side down and they will not come apart during the baking process.
Place the dish in the pre-heated oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked at an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) when checked by an Instant Read Thermometer.
As a guideline, it will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes for the chicken to be cooked through. With 5 minutes left of the anticipated cooking time, heat up the pizza sauce in a small saucepan.
About 3 minutes before the chicken is done, or when the internal temperature reaches 155°F, top each piece of chicken with the shredded mozzarella. Place the baking dish back into the oven until it is completely cooked through and the cheese is melted.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and spoon the warm pizza sauce over the top. Garnish with the additional Parmesan and chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
If you want to make this recipe ahead of time, prepare the chicken as instructed. Then wrap plastic wrap tightly around each piece and place the chicken breast in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to eat, unwrap and place in a baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Then place in the oven and bake.
2. How do I store the leftovers?
If you have leftovers, you can store them in a closed container for up to 4 days.
3. How do I reheat leftovers?
When you want to reheat your pizza stuffed chicken breasts, it is best to do so in a preheated oven set at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
However, I have also reheated the leftovers in a microwave and Instant Pot as well.
- Microwave Instructions: Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and add 1 teaspoon of water onto your microwave safe plate or dish. Then heat for 1 – 1 1/2 minutes on HIGH power.
- Instant Pot: Place the chicken in an Instant Pot safe bowl or container. Then place the container on the trivet. Add 1 cup of water and reheat on the STEAM function (with the valve in the sealed position) for 0 minutes. Carefully release the pressure and remove the lid.
4. Can I stuff the chicken with other pizza toppings?
You can stuff the chicken with whatever pizza toppings that you would like. Some of the most common additions are sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and ham.
Just be sure that you don’t overstuff the chicken. Otherwise it will be difficult to roll the chicken and the toppings will fall out.
5. What can I serve with Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts?
To receive FREE recipes delivered directly to your email, be sure to sign up for the iCookfortwo newsletter. A sign up form is located in the middle of this article. If you have any questions, comments, or want to submit an idea for a recipe for two, feel free to email at email@example.com
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/8 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 2 Tablespoons ground Sweet Italian sausage, cooked
- 6 slices of pepperoni, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup warm pizza sauce
- Grated Parmesan, for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat to 400°F (200°C). Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Butterfly each chicken breast by placing each chicken breast on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife held horizontally to your work surface, begin slicing the chicken breast in half. Start at the thicker end and slowly work towards the thinner edge, but not slicing it all the way through so that you can open it like a book. Pound the thicker end so that is about the same thickness as the thinner end.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Evenly divide the spinach leaves and place them on the left side center of each chicken breast. Then top the spinach with Parmesan shaved cheese, sausage, and diced pepperoni.
- Starting at the side with the filling, roll each chicken breast, tucking the filling inside and place, seam side down in the baking dish. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked at an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C), 25 to 30 minutes.
- With 5 minutes left of cooking time, heat up the pizza sauce in a small saucepan.
- About 3 minutes before the chicken is done, or when the internal temperature reaches 155°F, top each piece of chicken with the shredded mozzarella. Place back into the oven until cooked through.
- Spoon the warm pizza sauce over the chicken and garnish with the Parmesan and chopped fresh parsley.
Recipe provided by iCookfortwo.com
Nutrition InformationYield 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 379Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 132mgSodium 907mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 49g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.