Stuffed Mushrooms is an easy to make appetizer that is perfect for two people.
You can frequently purchase whole mushrooms at your local grocery or Farmer’s market in bulk. That means you don’t have to buy a container of mushrooms that you now need to find another recipe to use the remaining mushrooms.
However, you can always use the leftover mushrooms to make our favorite Mushroom Pork Chop recipe.
But no matter how you ended up with your mushroom caps, I am sure that you are going to love this classic, easy to make appetizer recipe for two.
Easy Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- Mini Portabella or whole button mushrooms
- Ground sausage, mild or hot
- Cream cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
The first step in making this easy stuffed mushrooms recipe is to preheat the oven.
While the oven is heating up, clean the mushrooms. This recipe calls for 8 button style mushrooms.
However you can decrease the number of mushrooms in this recipe if you prefer. Although, this appetizer is so good that 4 mushrooms per person isn’t uncommon.
Start cleaning the mushrooms by placing them in a large bowl of cold water.
Then gently swish the mushrooms around in the water for one minute. You will notice that there will be dirt that settles to the bottom of the bowl.
Carefully remove the mushrooms from the water using a slotted spoon or a spider strainer. Lightly pat them dry with a paper towel.
You do not want to rub the mushrooms to remove the dirt, as this can damage the mushrooms and lessen the flavor.
When the mushrooms are nice and clean, remove the stems by lightly twisting them off at the base of where they are connected to the top.
Once the stems are removed, place them on the cutting board and dice them into small pieces. Place them in a small bowl and set aside.
Prepare The Filling
Now it is time to prepare the stuffed mushroom filling. In a medium skillet, cook the ground sausage until it is browned and cooked through.
Be sure to break it up into tiny crumbles as it cooks. Turn off the burner and remove the pan from the heat.
However do not drain the cooked sausage. Instead, leave it in the pan with the grease and add in 1/2 of the diced mushroom stems and stir until well mixed.
Then in a medium bowl combine the softened cream cheese, Parmesan cheese. Mix until well combined.
Pour the cooked sausage and mushroom stem mixture, along with the grease in with the cheese mixture. Stir until well combined.
Place the mushrooms, open side up, in a small baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Fill the center of each mushroom with a large scoop of the sausage mixture. It is okay if the filling is over top of the mushroom.
Place the baking dish or sheet in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Then remove the pan from the oven and then sprinkle the shredded cheese over the tops of the stuffed mushrooms.
Continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until the mushroom caps are softened and the filling is lightly browned on the edges.
Remove the pan from the oven and let the mushrooms sit in the baking dish for 5-10 minutes before serving.
To receive FREE recipes delivered directly to your email, be sure to sign up for the iCookfortwo newsletter. A sign up form is located in the middle of this article and on the right side bar. If you have any questions, comments, or want to submit an idea for a recipe for two, feel free to email at email@example.com
- 8 oz sausage
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 lb. whole mushrooms
- 1/3 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Clean the mushrooms. Remove the stems and dice the stems only and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground sausage until it is browned and cooked through, breaking it up into tiny crumbles as it cooks. Do not drain.
- In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, Parmesan, parsley and sage using a hand mixer. Add the cooked sausage, grease, and 1/2 of the diced mushroom stems and mix until combined.
- Place the mushrooms, top side down, in a 8x8 baking dish or a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Fill the center of each mushroom with a large scoop of the sausage mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes and then add the shredded cheese to the tops of the stuffed mushrooms.
- Continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until the mushroom caps are softened and the filling is lightly browned on the edges.
- Let the mushrooms sit in the baking dish for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Recipe developed by iCookfortwo.com